- Language: spanish/english
- Duration: 3 years (full time), or 5 years (part time). Possible extension up to 2/3 years (more information here)
- Type: official Doctorate (see BOE R.D. 99/2011)
- Places: 120 per year
- Price: 390€ approx. per year (academic year 2016-17)
- Year established: 2005 (as "PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and Biotechnology"). New name since 2011.
- Official page at the UAM's website: link.
The PhD in Molecular Biosciences from the UAM, regulated by the R.D.99/2011, is a joint initiative of the Department of Molecular Biology from the Faculty of Sciences and the Department of Biochemistry from the Faculty of Medicine, which also involves teachers and researchers from other departments of the UAM, and numerous researchers from other collaborating institutions of national and international prestige.
The main objective of this PhD is the training for research work in the field of Molecular Biosciences (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology). To achieve this, the PhD promotes the realization of a series of trainings while developing a quality research within a group attached to the program research activities. This period culminates in the preparation and presentation of a doctoral thesis with an original scientific contribution that advances in scientific knowledge within the field of specialization.
Upon completion of this PhD, the students:
- Will have demonstrated a systematic understanding in the fields of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology, and mastery of the skills and methods of research associated with that field.
- Will have made a contribution through original research that extends the frontier of knowledge in some areas of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology, developing a substantial theme of which merits publication at national or international level.
- Will be able to make a critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas in the fields of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology.
- Will know how to communicate with their scientific peers, the academic community as a whole, and society in general, about aspects related to the field of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and/or Biotechnology.
- Will be able to promote, within academic and professional contexts, scientific, technological and social progress within a knowledge-based society.
Available research lines include:
- Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology of Systems
- Biotechnology of Microorganisms
- Cardiovascular Biology and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cell biology and Dynamics
- Cellular Organization and Control
- Developmental Molecular Biology
- Drug discovery
- Genome Dynamics and Function
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Infectious Diseases
- Metabolism and Cell Signaling
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology of Photosynthetic Organisms
- Molecular Immunology
- Molecular Medicine and Health Biotechnology
- Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology
- Molecular Oncology
- Molecular Virology
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Genetic Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Immune and Inflammatory Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Metabolic and Endocrine Diseases
- Pathophysiology and Therapy of Neurological and Neuromuscular Diseases
- Plant Developmental Biology
- Protein Structure and Function
This PhD -currently regulated by the R.D.99/2011- derives from the "PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and Biotechnology (Molecular Biosciences)", regulated by the R.D.1393/2007 that was awarded in 2011 with the "Mention to Excellence" (Ref. MEE2011-0504) wich, in turn, derived from the "PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedicine and Biotechnology" regulated by the R.D.56/2005 that was awarded in 2005 with the "Mention to Quality" (Ref. MCD2008-00005).
The Postgraduate Programme in Molecular Biosciences to which this PhD belongs to has received the recognition and support from the Internationalization Programme "Campus of International Excellence UAM+CSIC".
You can find more information about the admission requirements, enrolment etc. in the the upper sub-menu "Doctoral Studies"