- Language: English / Spanish (B2 level -or equivalent- required). Three elective courses may be partly taught in Spanish.
- Duration: 1 academic year (September-June).
- Credits: 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System -more info about the ECTS here).
- Type: official Master (see BOE's R.D. 1393/2007), full-time, in-class (no distance learning available).
- Places: up to 50.
- Price: 2711€ approx. (academic year 2018-2019). 5.000€ (approx.) for non-EU students.
- Year established: 2009-10.
- Official page at the UAM's website: link.
- Official page at the Faculty of Sciences' website (includes timetables): link (Students must check timetables in detail in order to avoid overlaps before proceeding with the enrolment)
The Master’s Degree in Biotechnology of the UAM aims to provide advanced, multidisciplinary and integrated in the field Molecular Biotechnology, focusing on applied research and the development of products, goods and services based on the selective and programmed manipulation of cellular and biomolecular processes. This Master’s Degree aims to train professionals capable solving different types of practical problems through knowledge and manipulation of biological systems, as well as transferring solutions to industry. Consequently, this Master’s Degree has a dual orientation as it serves as introduction to research in Biotechnology and also has a professional nature i.e. it seeks to provide advanced training for professional specialists in the biotechnological sector who use biotechnological tools. Thus, this programme aims to meet the growing demand for well trained professionals in the field of biotechnology in our society, as well as contributing the rapid practical application of the new knowledge generated by basic research. The Master’s Degree in Biotechnology provides the possibility to have a practical introduction to research work or to carry out a work placement in a biotechnology company (see "TFM course" below).
The training and educational objectives of this Master’s Degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology are:
- To broaden knowledge of the process of research and development, goods and services based on the selective and programmed manipulation of cellular and biomolecular processes.
- To acquire systematic, rigorous and up-to-date knowledge, along with a critical vision, of the main scientific questions in this field of specialization (Health Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology, Micororganism Biotechnology and Industrial Biotechnology and NanoBiotechnology).
- To acquire the basic skills needed to work in an experimental laboratory in the specific field specialization (Health Biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology, Micororganism Biotechnology and Industrial Biotechnology and NanoBiotechnology).
- To become familiar with some of the most relevant modern technologies used in research laboratories in the field of Biotechnology.
- To acquire the knowledge and ability needed to identify problems, search for practical and creative solutions and then apply them in a research context or in the professional field of Biotechnology.
- To acquire the capacity to plan and carry out a research project (in the case of the research option) or to develop their professional activity in the context of a biotechnological company (in the case of the option of a work placement in a company).
- To develop the ability to present scientific work in a spoken or written form in a clear and concise way.
- To develop the capacity to explain in a clear and effective way scientific advances in the field of Biotechnology, along with their ethical and social implications, to a non-specialist public.
- To acquire the skills required to be able to continue with lifelong learning in an autonomous and self-directed way.
- To acquire a solid training background which will enable students to begin a research career by writing a PhD or to develop their professional career in a field of Biotechnology that does not require a PhD.
The programme of the Master’s Degree in Biotechnology will enable students to develop the following specific competences and professional abilites:
- Acquisition of an integrated vision of the process of research, development and innovation from the discovery of new knowledge to the development of specific applications of this knowledge and the introduction to the market of new biotechnological products.
- Advanced knowledge of the selective and programmed manipulation of cellular and biomolecular processes (within a specific field of specialization) to improve or obtain new biotechnological products, good and services.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to correctly apply genetic engineering and protein techniques depending on the objective proposed or the problem to be solved.
- Knowledge of the characteristics of biotechnological industries and their legal framework, methods and techniques for research and business management, and protection for intellectual and industrial property.
- Ability to search for and obtain information from the main data bases of patents.
- Ability to write a report on the application for a patent of a biotechnological invention.
- Knowledge and skill in the use of the basic experimental techniques which are most widely used in the field of Biotechnology.
- Capacity to apply theory to practice in the in the context of a research laboratory or a biotechnological company.
- Clear knowledge of how to design a study to test a hypothesis.
- Technical and scientific competence to ensure the achievement of precise and reproducible results from which we can reach valid conclusions in the specific field of specialization in Biotechnology.
- To demonstrate the ability to establish and implement in a practical way chemical and biological safety rules.
- To demonstrate sound knowledge and skill in the use of the basic Biocomputing tools which are most widely used in Biotechnology.
- To demonstrate a good capacity to search electronic data bases of scientific and technical literature.
- To demonstrate a good capacity to understand and critically review scientific literature in their field of specialization.
- Capacity to identify a significant question or hypothesis about a subject or a problem and to establish the objectives, design and monitoring of a project in order to find a solution.
- To demonstrate a good capacity for spoken and written communication in order to effectively and fluently present the results of research or professional activity so that they can be critically assessed by colleagues or referees.
- To demonstrate a good capacity for scientific explanation to a non-specialist public, paying particular attention to the ethical, social and environmental implications of scientific advances in Biotechnology.
- To demonstrate a good understanding of the ethical aspects of the profession.
- To complete a Master’s Final Dissertation (TFM) based on the research work (in the case of the research option) or on their specialized professional activity in the context of a biotechnological company (in the case of the option of a work placement in a company) personally carried out by the student under the supervision of a Tutor.
Furthermore, the programme of the Master’s Degree in Biotechnology will encourage the development and consolidation of a series of general “cross-curricular” competences which are considered fundamental for the future professional activity of students, among which we can highlight:
- Understanding of the value and the limits of scientific method.
- Capacity for critical and self-critical reasoning.
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Capacity to practically apply knowledge.
- Capacity to solve complex problems.
- Capacity to generate new ideas (creativity).
- Initiative and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Capacity for self-assessment and recognition of the need for continuous personal improvement.
- Capacity to update knowledge in an autonomous way.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Capacity to search for, analyze and manage information, including the capacity to interpret and assess this information.
- Skill in the use of basic computer tools.
- Ethical commitment.
- Spoken and written communication skills in Spanish and English.
The Postgraduate Programme in Molecular Biosciences to which this Master belongs to has received the recognition and support from the Internationalization Programme "Campus of International Excellence UAM+CSIC".
|CODE and NAME||ECTS||TYPE|
|32811 (BM1) - Critical analysis of scientific literature. Applied statistics for Molecular Biosciences||6||C|
|31057 (BT1) - Genetic and protein engineering||6||C|
|32858 (BT2) - Economic and legal aspects of Biotechnology||6||C|
|32859 (BT3) - Plant Biotechnology (may have parts in spanish, but suitable for english-speaking students)||6||E|
|32860 (BT4) - Microorganisms Biotechnology (may have parts in spanish, but suitable for english-speaking students)||6||E|
|32861 (BT5) - Bioprocess engineering (may have parts in spanish, but suitable for english-speaking students)||6||E|
|32862 (BT6) - Biocatalysis and nanobiotechnology (may have parts in spanish, but suitable for english-speaking students)||6||E|
|32863 (BT7) - Master's Final Dissertation (TFM)||30||C|
Please note the following:
- Students must take the four Compulsory courses (marked with "C"), plus 2 Elective ("E") ones.
- It is possible to exchange one Elective course by another Elective course from the Master in Molecular Biomedicine, prior explicit authorization from the Coordination of the Master in Molecular Biomedicine (that authorization must be arranged through email@example.com)
- Some elective courses are partly taught in spanish language and may have limited places that will be assigned in enrolment order.
- The downloadable syllabi (in english and spanish) with all the information about each course are available here.
- Students must check by themselves the timetables for overlaps before doing the enrolment.
- The timetables/schedules ("horarios") vary very little from one academic year to another. They can be downloaded from here.
- For the Master Final Dissertation (TFM course), students must chose a research group from this list (the list gets updated often), or look for a private company on their own (a generic list of companies is available upon request).